pages

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Get Crafty!

Morning all Peaches...

Now that Christmas is literally around the corner, I thought some of you might want to have a peek at some of the homemade gifts that I've done for my friends this year. If you haven't had a go at creating masterpieces with a Sharpie pen before then you have been missing out. I first spotted this fantastic idea on Pinterest and since then have been giving out personalised plates, coasters and mugs etc to everyone I can think of! As long as you can put the object in the oven without it melting, you can pretty much do anything that you fancy.

I wanted to make some mugs with quotes or humorous comments on them for three of my friends from work.  I picked up some simple white ones from Ikea which were a bargain at 35p each! The theme was 'drinking' and I decided to use the famous saying from Elizabeth Taylor - "Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick and pull yourself together" for one of the designs. The other two were ideas I had pinned earlier - "shhhh there's wine in here" and "there's a chance this is vodka".

























It's wise that before you put pen to object that you practise it a few times on paper. I found some good font styles on google to use to make the mugs look more professional and artistic.

So this a quick step by step guide:

1. Wash and dry your objects making sure they don't have any oil residue on them.

2. Carefully write/draw your design onto the cup/mug/whatever (if you do make a mistake you need to move swiftly and wipe off with cotton bud soaked in nail polish remover). 

3. Place in the oven (make sure oven is turned OFF at this point - if you put objects into a preheated oven they might crack).

4.  Turn the oven on to 220 C/425 F and leave them in for 30 mins. My oven is fan assisted so heats up in 5 mins but if your oven takes along time to heat up leave them in an extra 10 mins.

5. Ding Ding times up! Turn the oven off but DON'T take them out just yet, this again may lead to cracking and we don't want that do we?

6. Once they have cooled down, whip them out and give them a quick clean with a sponge. The design should still be intact but if it has faded just go over it again with your sharpie pen and repeat steps 3 - 5. 

7. Your finished product is now ready to wrap and give to your loved one or keep for yourself!

Here are the mugs I made; I'm really chuffed with myself at how good they have turned out. 


Sometimes homemade pressies mean more than expensive ones and the personal touch can really cheer someone up. Hope these tips have helped you to do some Sharpie magic of your own. I'd love to see any that you make so let me have a look if you do.

Em xx

10 comments:

  1. I love doing this for the holidays because that is when we want to drink hot things! (: great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they will be perfect for the 100 hot choc a day we need! X

      Delete
  2. This is a cute idea! Love your handwriting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! I did a mug like these for each of my housemates last Christmas and they were so happy with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh they're a great idea. Perfect for anyone and everyone! X

      Delete
  4. Thats so a good idea! Cheap and easy too, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad u liked, thanks for having a look. X

      Delete
  5. These are such a good idea :) especially for personalised xmas presents :)

    http://www.missmorganxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they're so easy and it's really nice to get something personalised!

      Em xx

      Delete